The L-2 first flew in September 1941. It was affectionately known as “Grasshopper.” Manufactured by Taylorcraft, the L-2 was adapted from the pre-war commercial Model D, or Tandem Trainer. The L-2 was initially designated O-57 when first ordered by the U.S. Army Air Corps. The airplane was given its service tests in the summer of 1941 during maneuvers in Louisiana and Texas where it was used for various support purposes such as a light transport and courier. 2,168 examples and variants of the L-2 were built.
At the time American ground forces went into combat around the world during WWII, the U.S. Army Air Forces began using liaison aircraft, or L-birds, in much the same manner as the observation balloons were used in France during WWI—spotting enemy troop and supply concentrations, and directing artillery fire on them. L-birds were also used for other types of liaison and transport duties, and short-range reconnaissance which required airplanes that could land and take off in minimum distances from unprepared landing strips. Taylorcraft was based in Alliance, Ohio.
Wingspan: 35 ft 5 in
Length: 22 ft 9 in
Height: 6 ft 8 in
Empty weight: 875 lb
Max. takeoff weight: 1,300 lb (L-2M 1,325 lb)
Wing area: 181 sf
Engine: Continental O-170-3 of 65 hp
Crew: Two (pilot and observer)
Max. speed: 92 mph
Cruise speed: 83 mph @ 2,150 rpm
Stall speed: 43 mph (power on)
Range: 303 miles @ 2,000 rpm
Service Ceiling: 12,000 ft
Rate of climb: 395–455 ft/min
Wing loading: 7.18 lb/sf
Blu and Yella vs. Invasion Stripes
Pre-WWII, a common trainer paint scheme (like that used on the Boeing Stearman Kaydet Trainer Model 73) was bright blue and yellow to be easily distinguished in flight. The L-2, an aircraft of simple durable construction (also like the Kaydet), was widely used for training. While the Army used planes with a blue fuselage and chrome yellow wings and tail surfaces, Navy planes were all yellow. A US national aircraft insignia consisting of a red disk within a five-pointed white star on a circular blue field was introduced in 1917 to avoid confusion with enemy markings. Pursuit aircraft, as early as 1937, had rudder markings of red and white horizontal stripes (13 total) replicating the US flag.
At the start of WWII, Taylorcraft in the US licensed the construction of its Models B, C, and D planes, to Taylorcraft Aeroplanes in the UK. Dubbed the Taylorcraft Auster, the British military liaison and observation aircraft played an important role for the RAF. Also noted in Ken Wakefield’s The Other Ninth Air Force: the Taylorcraft Austers “never performed courier missions” and “the aircraft were not too satisfactory (not enough power [130 hp], not enough maneuverability and not enough climb),” as stated by Capt. Good (RAF), British 30th Corps Air OP pilot.
Your tax deductible donation will help to support the preservation of the aircraft of Alamo Liaison Squadron.
If you prefer to give by mail, send your check payable to: Alamo Liaison Squadron, 2352 S. Loop 1604 W., San Antonio, Texas 78264. Please write “Donation” in the memo line.