Welcome to Alamo Liaison Squadron

At ALS, we continue to do our part to ensure the U.S. of A. remains the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Our museum, comprising the only flying collection of WWII L-birds—liaison aircraft—along with artifacts of the era, serves the community and our nation in a multitude of ways.

Stinson L-5 Sentinel

Stinson L-5 Sentinel

The Stinson L-5 was the only purpose-built L-bird and the second most widely used liaison aircraft in WWII. It was rugged and powerful. The L-5 was called the Flying Jeep as it could perform many of the same duties.

Read More

Aeronca L-3 Defender

Aeronca L-3 Defender

The Aeronca L-3 joined similar Grasshopper-types in spotting, directing artillery fire, transport, short-range reconnaissance, and training. Some served in North Africa for the Free French Forces.

Read More

Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper

Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper

The Taylorcraft L-2 was an observation and reconnaissance aircraft built for U.S. Army Ground and Air Forces in WWII. L-2s were powered by a 65-horsepower engines and served stateside for training operations.

Read More

Storch, Genesis of the L-Bird

The Fieseler Fi 156 Storch was a German designed and built aircraft for Short Take-Off and Landing (STOL) operations. Conceived in 1935 for the sole purpose of proving the STOL concept, the Storch undoubtedly piqued the interests of military strategists prior to the aggressive maneuvers invoked by the Axis powers in 1939. While its stalky

The ALG Flying Museum Runway Expansion

San Antonio Real Estate Association Newsletter—May 1984 The “Alamo Liaison Group’s” (ALG) Flying Museum acquired additional property at the Cannon Field airstrip for the expansion of the organization’s runway following eight months of negotiations by Geoff Sanders. The ALG includes area businessmen, bankers and retired military personnel who formed the organization to locate, purchase, restore,

Aeronca C-3 Restoration

Undertaken by Hardy Cannon and his team at Cannon Field, this rare lightplane was restored in the early 1980s. Used for training, the C-3 was noted for its gliding ability and gentle landing speeds. Wire bracing supported the wings. An enclosed cabin offered comfort for wintertime flying. Production ended in 1937. This aircraft now resides

Forty Years of Army Aviation

Part 1: Grasshoppers, authored by Brigadier General William W. Ford, retired, gives an account of the actions that led to the birth of Army Aviation. Originally published in United States Army Aviation Digest, June 1982, Volume 28, Number 6. The poem or whatever-it-is [below] (spoken with a Deep South accent), written for a celebration dinner

‘L’ Plane Lineage

Reprinted from Vintage Airplane magazine, June 1982, by E. E. “Buck” Hilbert The Army Air Corps had a whole series of “O” planes in use long before the Army asked the manufacturers to participate in the “Great Maneuvers” in Tennessee and Louisiana in 1941. These “O” types included some names still very familiar today, and

Rare collection features WWII liaison aircraft

San Antonio Express, Friday, May 28, 1982, by Joe Fohn. Nobody will mistake Hardy Cannon’s back yard for the hedgerows of Normandy. But the grass airstrip behind his home on loop 1604 near Somerset provides a natural habitat for an antique airplane collection unique in the world: Six World War II liaison planes, one example

Development of the Interstate L-6

By Hardy D. Cannon (c. 1980) “President Roosevelt said that he wanted to darken the skys with airplanes. That statement was enough for “Interstate” to go into business building airplanes. The Interstate Engineering Corporation was a parts jobber that was building bomb shackles, hydraulic units and the like for airplanes, in the former Moreland plant

Development of the Stinson L-5

By Hardy D. Cannon (c. 1980) Katherine Stinson learned to fly in 1911-1912 and was granted Pilot License 148 in 1912. She was the fourth woman pilot in the United States to be granted such a license. Katherine taught her sister, Marjorie, and her brother, Eddie to fly. Eddie Stinson obtained pilot license # 375

Development of the Piper L-4

By Hardy D. Cannon (c. 1980) The L-4 Piper was designed by the man who originally designed the E-2 Taylor Cub. It was in 1930 that C. Gilbert Taylor and his brother organized the Taylor Aircraft Corporation at Bradford, Pennsylvania. The company reorganized in 1931 but it was still known as the Taylor Aircraft Corporation.

Development of the Aeronca L-3

By Hardy D. Cannon (c. 1980) The story of the development of the Aeronca began with a twelve year old French immigrant named Jean Roche. The young boy developed a passionate love of aviation and became a skilled model builder. He was able to win many awards for the excellent flying characteristics his models always