Welcome to Alamo Liaison Squadron

At ALS, we continue to do our part to ensure the U.S. of A. remains the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Our museum, comprising the only flying collection of WWII L-birds—liaison aircraft—along with artifacts of the era, serves the community and our nation in a multitude of ways.

Stinson L-5 Sentinel

Stinson L-5 Sentinel

The Stinson L-5 was the only purpose-built L-bird and the second most widely used liaison aircraft in WWII. It was rugged and powerful. The L-5 was called the Flying Jeep as it could perform many of the same duties.

Read More

Aeronca L-3 Defender

Aeronca L-3 Defender

The Aeronca L-3 joined similar Grasshopper-types in spotting, directing artillery fire, transport, short-range reconnaissance, and training. Some served in North Africa for the Free French Forces.

Read More

Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper

Taylorcraft L-2 Grasshopper

The Taylorcraft L-2 was an observation and reconnaissance aircraft built for U.S. Army Ground and Air Forces in WWII. L-2s were powered by a 65-horsepower engines and served stateside for training operations.

Read More

World War II lives on in South Texas Skies

San Antonio Express-News, Sunday, April 4, 1993, by Susan Yerkes. To some, history is what you find in a high-school textbook. To others, it is fading memories. But to Bob Hood, P.D. Straw, Baylor Randle, Bill Houston, Earl Collins and the other men of the Alamo Liaison Squadron, history is a living, soaring, winged thing

Organic Army Aviation in World War II

Part 2, 1944–1946, by Dr. John W. Kitchens, Aviation Branch Command Historian, U.S. Army Aviation Center, Fort Rucker, AL. Excerpted from Aviation Digest, July/August 1992 The Field Artillery Branch of the Army Ground Forces (AGF) tested aerial observation and fire adjustment from lightweight organic aircraft from 1940 to 1942. The tests led to the establishment

50 Years of U.S. Army Light Aviation

Excerpted from Sport Aviation magazine, June 1992, by H.G. Frautschy. June 6, 1944. A date that sticks in the minds of many of us as “D­-Day,” the day that marked the start of the Allies invasion of Europe during World War II. But for many pilots who flew during the war, June 6th has an­

50 Years of Army Aviation 1942–1992

50th Anniversary of Army Aviation, authored by Major General Dave Robinson. Originally published in United States Army Aviation Digest, May/June 1992. From North Africa to North Korea, from the islands of the South Pacific to the deserts of Southwest Asia, from the plains of Central Europe to the jungles of Indochina, and from the night patrols

Eyes in the Sky

Excerpted from Army History bulletin, Winter 1990/1991, Eyes in the Sky: A History of Liaison Aircraft and Their Use in World War II by Herbert P. LePore. The nascence of fixed-wing aircraft in a combat milieu took place in the early days of World War I when both the Allied and Central Powers used single-engine

Grasshoppers and Flitfires

The early liaison airplanes are being saved. Flying magazine, October 1987, by Gordon Baxter. Down in sunny San Antonio, Texas, the Alamo Liaison Group is the hearty band of enthusiasts that collect, restore and fly these light airplanes that did so much in every theater of the war. The Piper, Taylorcraft, Aeronca and Interstate would

“Keep’em Flying”

Hill Country Recorder, September 19, 1984, story and photo (From the back seat of the L-1) by Roger L. Berry. “RETURN WITH US NOW TO THOSE GOLDEN DAYS OF YESTERYEAR….” The men of the Alamo Wing of the Confederate Air Force did just that on the day of the Kendall County Fair Parade. While authentic

The ALG Flying Museum Runway Expansion

San Antonio Real Estate Association Newsletter—May 1984 The “Alamo Liaison Group’s” (ALG) Flying Museum acquired additional property at the Cannon Field airstrip for the expansion of the organization’s runway following eight months of negotiations by Geoff Sanders. The ALG includes area businessmen, bankers and retired military personnel who formed the organization to locate, purchase, restore,

Aeronca C-3 Restoration

Undertaken by Hardy Cannon and his team at Cannon Field, this rare lightplane was restored in the early 1980s. Used for training, the C-3 was noted for its gliding ability and gentle landing speeds. Wire bracing supported the wings. An enclosed cabin offered comfort for wintertime flying. Production ended in 1937. This aircraft now resides