San Antonio Real Estate Association Newsletter—May 1984
The “Alamo Liaison Group’s” (ALG) Flying Museum acquired additional property at the Cannon Field airstrip for the expansion of the organization’s runway following eight months of negotiations by Geoff Sanders. The ALG includes area businessmen, bankers and retired military personnel who formed the organization to locate, purchase, restore, preserve and maintain in flying condition World War II military aircraft. The ALG maintains the only complete set of flying WWII liaison aircrafts which were built between 1939 and 1945. According to Hardy Cannon, a member of the organization who has been involved with aviation since the late 1930’s, the ALG’s collection of six planes is more complete than the set maintained by the Army Aviation Museum and the Air Force Museum. The organization includes 50 members, approximately one-half of whom are pilots and one-half non-pilot members. The Piper J-3 Cub, nicknamed “Flitfire” by the British, was designed to fly at tree-top level and portrays the documented Royal Air Force colors. Some members of ALG are actually flight training in the 40-year-old planes. All members of the ALG of San Antonio are “Colonels” in good-standing with the Alamo Wing of the Confederate Air Force, and new members are welcome.
Photo cutline: (left to nght) Geoff Sanders of D.B. Harrell Co. and Hardy Cannon with the Alamo Liaison Group (ALG) examine a 1939 Piper J-3 Cub aircraft at Cannon Field with Col. Bill Stratton, president of ABC Service Co.